Our Community Is Growing in More Ways Than One!
December 29, 2016 | Around Town
We’re growing like Kudzu in August! That’s a classic southern expression used to describe big growth, and we think it’s an appropriate way to express what’s been happening at Carnes Crossroads the past year. From news about plans for Roper St. Francis’ 90-acre medical campus to the addition of Northwood Academy and several new businesses to our community, 2016 was an exciting year at Carnes Crossroads! Take a look back at these highlights:
- We welcomed the 100th family to Carnes Crossroads, and construction began in St. James Park, the second of many neighborhoods planned for our community. Homes from all five builders and some of our first lakefront properties will be part of this new neighborhood.
- All year long, new residents helped build our community by meeting and mingling at a diverse and growing mix of fun activities and events, like wine tasting and master gardening lectures at the Green Barn, monthly “First Friday” happy hours, and day trips organized by the new Carnes Crossroads Adventurers Club.
- Roper St. Francis shared details about plans for its 90-acre medical campus at Carnes Crossroads in early 2016. Berkeley Hospital, a 50-bed, full-service hospital, is planned to serve as the “nucleus” of the campus, located at the intersection of North Main Street and St. James Avenue.
- MUSC Health Carnes Crossroads opened, giving residents convenient access to primary care, women’s health care and the Medical University of South Carolina’s groundbreaking research and technology. An array of services, including internal and family medicine, radiology, family planning, pregnancy care and more are offered at the new location.
- The Property Owners’ Association helped organize and grow several annual traditions for residents throughout the year, including the first ever Easter Egg Hunt on the Village Green, the third annual Street Festival, the seasonal Farmers’ Market at the Green Barn and the annual Holiday Market.
- Aqua Zumba became the latest fitness craze at Carnes Crossroads, with weekly classes drawing a loyal following at the pool all summer long. Other popular fitness-oriented programs at Carnes Crossroads this year included yoga at the Green Barn and a special Health Fitness & Wellness class for residents.
- Students at Northwood Academy’s Upper School started the 2016/2017 academic year at a brand new school on the Northwood Church campus at Carnes Crossroads in August. The campus will welcome Northwood’s Lower School next year.
- Over a thousand people gathered for the Charleston St. Jude Walk/Run to End Childhood Cancer at Carnes Crossroads in September, raising over $82,000 in donations for St. Jude Research Hospital. One of 61 similar events taking place around the country on the same day, the race marked the first major fundraising event to be hosted by our community. The race is scheduled to return next year.
- Construction began on The Blake, a senior living community, as well as on upscale apartments at The Passage, located on the east side of North Main Street. Both are scheduled to be complete in 2017, adding to the diversity of residential opportunities at Carnes Crossroads.
- Groundwork was laid for an exciting array of additions to our downtown, with construction now underway or about to begin on a child care center, dental and medical offices, retail space and more.
Check our blog to stay up-to-date on the latest news and developments within our growing community in 2017, and contact a Carnes Crossroads Real Estate sales associate to learn more.